Thursday, September 24, 2009

Farming begins

Yesterday I was in synagogue surrounded by hundreds of families celebrating the Jewish new year. Today I was standing in a barn with 3 cooing chickens, Karen and my Mom having just left to return to DC in the Zipcar they rented to drop me off for my new adventure.

The entire crew was still at the Takoma Park farmers market so I meandered between the tomato rows to pass time. What was I possibly thinking, a lifelong city boy, coming to work on a farm? The chickens, wandering with me, nodded sympathetically. Its true, they seemed to say, farm life can be isolating. But remarkably, reception here in Wheatland, Virginia is better than at home, so I called Karen and then a few friends, which soothed my nerves.

As the sun started descending my nesting instinct kicked in, and I swept out the 10-by-15 foot storage room, now my bedroom, in the barn where the farm workers sleep. Using a crate as a dustbin, I threw out the dust, dead beetles, glass shards, and snake skin, and wondered if I'm ready for this journey. At 6:30, still alone, I really began to question my judgment. Instead, I focused on being hungry, wandered back through the fields and picked an orange pepper, a purple and white streaked eggplant, and green basil and returned to the workers kitchen where I sautéd them. Chomping on my first freshly-picked farm meal, crickets chirping outside, I did feel a sense of satisfaction, and certainty that whatever happens in the next 7 weeks, I won't go hungry.

5 comments:

  1. Dan sounds like your first meal was a great one. I'm looking forward to the pics and thanks for the advice on the eggplants-- will begin cutting and freezing tomorrow. One more freezing question (well, you said we could ask questions). Can you freeze things like mint? Or is it best just to dry? Also, does the farm have animals besides chickens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, first things first. Mint freezes beautifully as do most herbs and even a few fruits such as blueberries (don't wash them first).

    OK, so city boy, have heart. If your L.A. city cousin can build a house in the middle of nowhere and live there 17 years you can easily handle 7 week :-). Ironically, I moved to the country to grow lots of things. Unfortunately this city girl didn't think about the fact that there is a reason only trees grow a forest LOL.

    Love your writing style and looking forward to your stories.

    Love ya - Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what happens at the end of your time there when you realize that farm living is the life for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan,
    I am so excited about your blog and am fascinated by your choice of venue. Thoreau would be proud. What an adventure! Can't wait to hear more and to get a signed copy of your blog.
    Sahrena (the elusive S on the list)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even believe my eyes....I am following you everywhere! Be aware...be very aware...

    Your very own Auntie......Mame!

    ReplyDelete